Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the house rules and keep this community safe for yourself and others.

Secondary solid cancers post SCT

Hi,

I’ve been trying to find information on the internet about whether any treatments are ruled out if a patient develops a solid cancer post SCT (5 years post transplant). For example, can a patient have chemo, or does that represent a risk to the SCT such as a chance it could fail. Is radiotherapy possible? Apologies for such a broad question. There are many hits that indicate an increased risk of secondary cancers (including on Anthony Nolan) but nothing I could find that addresses whether treatment options are impacted by having previously had a SCT.

Thanks.

Comments

• Hi AH67,
    I am Rachel, Lead Nurse here at Anthony Nolan.

You're correct in summarising that the risk of a secondary cancer following a Stem Cell Transplant increases, this is often due to patients having received high doses of chemotherapy, radiotherapy and immunosuppression drugs.

Ensuring patients undergo screening across all of the national programmes is really important after transplant, also having regular dental reviews, limiting sun exposure/using sun protection. If a secondary cancer does occur in the years following transplant these will usually be treated in accordance with the protocols used for the whole population though the previous treatment a patient has had may be considered. This won't necessarily stop someone from being treated with certain drugs but it there may be some dose changes if they are particularly toxic to a system in the body that has already been affected by previous treatment.

I hope this helps answer your question, if you'd like more information or to talk about this further please do get in touch on our helpline 0303 303 0303.

Best wishes
    Rachel

• Thanks Rachel for your prompt and clear answer. As with everything, it all depends on the facts, but it is reassuring to know that the starting point is that it is the same protocols as for the general population, so nothing is automatically ruled out just because of a previous SCT.