Hello!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please read the house rules and keep this community safe for yourself and others.

Relapse 6yrs post STC

I’ve just been told the devastating news my leukaemia is back after 6yrs,I’ve been so fit and this has come out of the blue,I really started to relax a bit after 5yr mark.Im facing a second Transplant and am scared to ask Drs about recovery second time around.Is there anyone out there who has had a successful second transplant?

Comments

• Hey Katy,

My name is Dan, I am a community champion here for Anthony Nolan and I am currently 3 years post SCT.

I am so so so sorry to hear about your relapse - it is the worst fear for all of us and I am so sorry you are going through that. I am sure some people here will have had the same experience and can talk about it, but in the meantime I wanted to point you towards the Patient Services team - you can call them on 0303 303 0303 whenever you need to.

They will be able to offer advice & support and may have stories of other patients that they can share with their experiences.

One experience that jumps out to me is a chap I was on an interview panel with at Anthony Nolan. He had a STC that then turned out to also get Leukaemia, so ended up having to have a second transplant from a different donor. 10 years later he was sat on an interview panel with me and didn't even have any GVHD, so he was healthy and in a great spot.

Keep up the positive thoughts and know that you are in all of our thoughts.

Dan

• Thank you so much for your reply Dan,I really need some positive stories of second transplant experiences,I’ve been so well and had got myself physically as fit as possible so I’m hoping that will help me through this process,I’m being admitted tomorrow to start first round of chemo,I will check out the helpline aswell.

Katey

• Hi Katy, sorry to hear of your relapse so long after your transplant. Like Dan, I'm also a community champion here and had my transplant over 10 years ago to treat ALL.

There have been varous posts here about second transplants at various stages, including some that have been even longer after the first transplant than yours. It can and does happen unfortunately and I suppose os something all of us worry about every day. But there are positive outcomes and it may help to read some of the posts on the forum to see how the other patients got on. The best way to find them is use the 'search forums' box at the top of the page and this should bring up the threads relating to second transplants.

I hope everything goes well with the start of your chemotherapy and onwards towards your transplant. We are here to help you and other patients get through your treatment and to support each other so please stick around and let us know how you're getting on and whether you have any questions.

Best wishes,

Steve

Liam_at_AnthonyNolan